After 40 years, Uganda have won another Olympic medal. What sounds unbelievable to most, happened this morning in London, when Stephen Kiprotich took the gold medal in the marathon in 2 hours 8 minutes and 1 second ahead of Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang.
What is most memorable about this, is that Uganda have so far not won any other gold medals at the Olympics since 1972.
There have been medal winners previously, but most of them were boxers. In total Ugandan athletes have won 7 (SEVEN) medals at Olympic Games, 4 in boxing, 3 in athletics competitions.
- Uganda’s Kiprotich wins marathon (bbc.co.uk)
- Uganda’s Kiprotich wins London 2012 Olympic gold medal in men’s marathon (ugandasafaris.typepad.com)
- Kiprotich wins gold for Uganda – Yahoo! Eurosport UK (uk.eurosport.yahoo.com)
- Marathon man Kiprotich wins first medal for Uganda (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Live Sport Reports: Kiprotich earns marathon triumph (walesonline.co.uk)